Songkran is the annual festival which takes place over three days during the traditional Thai New Year, this year falling on Friday 13 – Sunday 15 April 2018. Throughout Thailand there are celebrations, festivities and plenty of food; all culminating in a momentous country-wide water fight!
In the run up to Songkran, Sanguan Parr, Head Chef at Nipa Thai – one of our best loved Thai restaurants in London, has shared her recipe for Massaman Gai (Yellow Chicken Curry). A popular but classic recipe from the Southern region of Thailand, the curry is simple to make but guaranteed to impress – the perfect dish for your Songkran celebrations!
Ingredients (to serve four)
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 600ml Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 5 Small Onions; sliced
- 4 Medium Potatoes; cubed
- 3 tbsp Massaman Curry Paste
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 3 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 piece Roasted Cinnamon; 1cm long
- 5 Roasted Cardamom Pods
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2 inches in length.
2. In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
3. Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
4. Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
5. Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat to simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
6. Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Throughout Songkran 2018, Nipa Thai will be offering its traditional menu. Nipa Thai is open from 5pm-10.30pm, Monday-Sunday.
Nipa Thai at Royal Lancaster London
Lancaster Terrace, London W2 2TY
020 7551 6000